I've just finnished this incredible book by Carrolyn Jessop

The story of a woman in the USA ( supposedly free) who was enslaved by her religion ( the cult of the FLDS) being told she was marrying a man in his 60's by her father and given 48 hours to sew her wedding dress...the fight she undertook to get an education, the abuse she suffered at his hand and that of his many wives ...and also her comunity ( complicit in this). She struggled through adversity to escape from with her children ( one severely disabled), only to have to allow her eldest daughter to return to the FLDS later.( and as a loving mother let her go unconditionally) I cant imagine escaping such enslavement and then having to relinquish your child back to their doctrine which was more about the whim of men than anything godly or connected to true belief or faith in the everlasting.
I dont often feel I can recommend a book. but I really couldnt put this down! I dont usually read these "True life" type books but the FLDS and Polygamous relationship aspects interested me!
Sophie is still ploughing through "Harry Potter and the Philosopher stone" and I hope she will stick at it! even though its slow going , at least nobody is saying "You cant read that!" Im enjoying it too... despite seeing the film, the book is so much more interesting!
She intends to start her own blog which will feature recipes shes tried out and reviews of books shes read. Hopefully that will spur her on with her reading!


2 comments:
I need to read this book now! Lisa
gosh what an interesting sounding book .
Post a Comment