Saturday, 10 May 2008

OOPs

Chloe rang this evening from her friends house. She's was out riding with her friend in the New Forest and the saddle slipped, Chloe tumbled and is now in lots of pain, with bruising to her back and hip shuffling around like an old lady apparently! Shes being very brave and her friends mum said she would take her to the hospital if the pain hasn't improved by tomorrow morning. They were about 2 miles from the house when it happened, Chloe's instinct told her to get up and try and walk or ride back. Thankfully her friend ensured she lay still etc until her mother arrived! She's had a sit in their spa bath which helped. I think she'll live:) She was having lots of fun despite the pain. I just want to go and give her a hug. Im not too worried, if her friends mum thinks she will be ok, it would just be nice to be able to check and comfort her a bit! She sounded quite chirpy on the phone though and was just worried Id be cross!

All the moving, working etc finally caught up with me today and I went to work at 7am feeling dreadful. I thought it was because I'd finished at 11.30pm last night but when I came home today with a stinker of a migraine I was forced back to bed and that's where I stayed until almost 6pm. Its done me good though, I feel so much better for the enforced bed rest!There must be some sort of virus going round as Soph has the headache this evening.

The advantage of moving and unpacking has been the discovery of several books/resources we either didn't know we had or had forgotten about. Sophie discovered this book in a box, complete with CD. http://tiny.cc/3rgOs
I vaguely recall buying it when they were in school and Chloe dropping out immediately a few years ago. So we'll get onto that when I can get them some recorders
I had a week of spending very little so that I can catch up a little moneywise and order a couple of Galore Park english books for Sophie,she seems to work so much better from a textbook style book than the workbooks I bought and she was pretty ambivalent about. They are pretty expensive though I hope they are worth it! Others have commented positively about them qand the sample pages look good so fingers crossed. Ive bought the ones which are below the suggested age group as they are used in prep schools and appear to be a higher level than she would have done in school using the national curriculum.
Shes made a beautiful card for her cousin's birthday today using the 'draw, write now' books. Ill take a picture when I can locate my camera! Shes really proud of it. I'm going to get her working on an entry for the structured home ed forums children's competition this week.
Ive decided to buy in Miquon maths for Connor. He's quite good in some areas of maths but I dont think he really 'gets'; why the answer is what it is and has great difficulty sequencing etc. It uses lots of manipulatives and he's very much a kinaesthetic learner. He also thinks about things quite differently before reaching the correct answer on all sorts of things which his speech therapist also picked up when doing some work on semantics with him.I understand Miquon has quite a 'different' approach so I really hope it will suit his roundabout way of thinking too! It starts with first grade, way below his chronological age but I'll be starting at the beginning with it because his knowledge is very patchy, even in things like counting.

Moving house has really started to pay... I have enough money for these things this week! I havent driven anywhere for days, I havent needed to! Its shocking how much money we were literally 'burning' and killing the planet, just to get to work and essential trips to the shops etc while living in an area Ive always hated.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Glad you have got moved and are getting setled. I hope Chloe recovers quickly.

Lisa said...

Hope she's better soon, at least it hasn't put her off riding. I'm sure you'll like the Galore Park, I don't know anyone who doesn't so far and I'll be really interested to see how Miquon maths works. We're struggling our way through Singapore 1b at the moment.