UGH....I'm ill, proper ill, not just a little under the weather. I gave in and visited the doc. Ivce not been to the GP for a year. We've moved house and Ive had to register with the GP in the village. Its probably a good thing or none of us would have ended up registered here!
The GP said it wasnt pneumonia(Ive had that once this year!) and gave me some antibiotics and a sick note and said I needed a week off to just rest.Reluctantly I rang work and booked myself off for the week,I realise I cant work but need the extra work thats on offer so wanted to drag myself in if at all possible.
More importantly it was the first meeting of the Home ed group...there was a fantastic workshop organised, building siege machines and I was stuck on the sofa feeling tearful and useless. Thankfully Darren realised it was a big deal for the kids that they went and so he took a day off work and they went, came back absolutely raving about the fun they had, had got to know some of the kids better and Im really looking to the next one, to be able to make Kate and Neil a cuppa and for me to do the work!!
The ARRGHH was the LEA, weve applied to have Connor statemented,we'd withdrawn him initially because we were unhappy with provision and on the advice of his dyslexia tutor and the educational psychologist at the Dyslexia institute. Being happy with Home ed Im apathetic at the moment, would be thrilled to be able to get a place for him at Chloes school( its worth a try,)if not at least he will have a statement which would help if he wanted to go to school. I had to fill out a form B ( intended for schools!) without the 'guidance descriptors' ( so placing us at a disadvantage- Id love to know what these are, weve never recieved them!) and against a beligerent and obstructive LEA!
Anyway, after a phone call where I was accused by the statementing officer ( and interestingly our 'home ed contact'- the same dept and staff oversee home ed and special needs provision!) who's opening line when I rang to ask for help was "so you are REFUSING to fill in the form..."( funny, I thought Id just rung and said er Im struggling with this form, could you please tell me what you would like me to do??!)
I decided rather than let them pedal mis-information and try and accuse us of hiding anything or not educating Connor at home I would write a report detailing exactly what weve been doing... 6 A4 pages later I was there...(rolleyes) Its quite surprising to detail what weve covered in just 6 months, ok not in absolute diary style but this blog proved invaluable, its amazing the detail you forget!It took me all afternoon but its done. I will do another on Soph to send to the LEA. AFAIK there is enough to satisfy them that S7 is being met.. and more. Id be amazed if state schools could offer the kind of opportunities weve given Connor.( with regards age ability and aptitude.. something his last school wouldnt get close to meeting yet we have to!)
The sad stuff.... Sadly Ray Gravell died on wednesday night on holiday in Majorca.. sad because he was a fine man, someone we had met on several occasions and Chloe and Darren in particular were really upset by his passing. Working in media Darren chatted with him often in the press room at Cardiff. Chloe often in tow after school as a treat. He was a giant of a man and a true gentleman, a real character with a true love for Rugby, people and he never forgot you once he'd chatted with you. I feel for him, having children the same age as his who must be absolutely bereft. Hes also younger than my Dad and my breath is just snatched from me at the thought of my Dad not being with us any more( something I cannot start to contemplate, its too painful) God only knows the pain for his children its incomprehensible
He will be missed. Darrens colleague left a space in a picture at the scarlets tonight, a picture Ray should have been back from holiday and been featured in... just one photographers small way of saying "we miss you"
and he's right, we will...
And the happy stuff( got to end on a happy note) My enforced sickness has left time for happier activities, a lunch with gran,carving the pumpkin a day late ( pic to follow..) and just generally mooching, the rabbits heve had lots of cuddles, no work has been done as such, the kids have rampaged round the street with the local kids, built dens, shown off the bunnies, played CD's and danced and generally had a wonderful time( thank goodness for half term even if the kids keep waking me up!) The kids got the face paints out and Sophie painted Connor, she did a 'hairy six pack'- like dad and rugby players( only dad doesnt any longer have the 6 pack!) and Conor painted spiders and a web on Sophies face- with lots of protests at bathtime!
Tonight I cant go to work, I have no voice beyond a croak, the antibiotics are working... Chloes home from school and her mum is here for the first time in weeks of an evening(friday/sat=-work usually) and were watching the rugby on TV, Im catching up on all Chloes news and chat from the week, Darrens cooking tea and we're all having a real laugh just being together...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
You must be feeling really rough! Get well and hopefully we'll see you all soon!
awww you do sound poorly
Hope you are feeling better soon. You may not be interested, but I have just posted a new project page on mining on my site HE Resources - its on the project page. There isnt a lot on coal mining, but it may give you some ideas.
best wishes, Julie.
Post a Comment