This last few weeks seems to have been a period of change and growth in the little red house. Physically little has changed, were the same people, the same family, the same parents, same children.
Its difficult to explain really. I think being ill has caused a change in our daily routine but before that there seemed to be changes happening.
In the past few weeks we've visited a senior school for Sophie and not filled in the form( despite it being really lovely!) because, well, school doesn't matter to us hugely, even less to her.
Shes started identifying things she wants to do with her time, particularly just spend a few weeks doing alot of science workbooks and get to her Y6 maths book, maybe some experiments.. if we can find a decent chemistry kit!
Connor has started reading, of his own accord!!(amazing,) anything resembling 'reading' gets a huge thumbs down so to be asked "what does this say?" "How do I say this word"? ( usually the longest word) is such a pleasure.
The downside to this massive upside? the fact the chosen book is 1001 'great' jokes... the inverted commas, because the favoured jokes include "whats yellow and doesn't need ironing?" - "A drip dry banana" and "Whats yellow and you can write with it?" - "A Ballpoint Banana"
we have these, all day, every day! its hard not to GROAN... but the odd one is allowed for comedic value apparently! Ive used illness as the other reason I groan... well artistic licence and all that !
All this appears to be connected to the 'clowning' workshop so it just shows how these things connect in children's minds which didn't even occur to us. They've also been practicing some of the clowning they saw in Slavas snow show.This week is STOMP I will stock up on the headache pills and be ready to raid the ironmongers for dustbin lids and broomsticks maybe?
They are both completely enthused about mining thanks to 'Coal house' and want to visit big pit and 'stack square' I hope I can get them to do a project to 'share' with their grandparents. Darren's mum in particular has lots of memories, I suspect she will be a mine of information ( not to mention being interested in being involved in some 'work')
We do seem to be moving without any planning or intention into more structure, the children want to do more 'work' and workbooks,software etc at the moment.I don't think we will be 'curriculum' people in terms of sitting down and timetabled work daily but Sophie especially is craving structure and set amounts of things she needs to get done so that's what we are doing.
She is talking about working towards GCSE's an wants to have the relevant materials to lead up to that standard.
We tried autonomy on the recommendation of just about every other local home educator we know and Sophie's resoundingly rejecting it and saying she doesn't enjoy doing what she wants when she wants because she hates the lack of structure and rhythm of the day so were doing what she needs for now and Connor is happily fitting in with doing 'something' whenever Sophie is.
We've had friends down to stay for the weekend.Chloe was really pleased to see J who's like an auntie to her and spent much of her time watching DVDs with her while I was at work, I took J's daughter E( aged 6) with me and she seemed to have a fantastic time. J was talking about school and how pleased the teachers were with E and how shes ahead in everything but at her age group in reading ( so wheres the problem?) Sadly E's great aunt ( ex teacher) seems to think E should be 'pushed' to reach further etc with reading so it was really nice to be able to say "well actually we haven't forced Connor to read at all and yet suddenly..." and J seemed so pleased to hear that and said I will go back and say "well actually, pushing... I wont do that"
If 'pushing' worked then Connor would have read fluently at school ( and yes they did try schemes, 1:1 daily sessions, individual tuition etc) and yet a little bit of practice every day( but when he is OK to do that, he chooses when hes in the best mood/frame of mind) and a regular supply of things to read that interests him (footy comics and his joke book) and he seems to realise the need to read and attempt to meet that need.I hope that will lead to reading for pleasure.
I have been left wondering whether the need and the pleasure have been pretty much removed from state schools and national testing has killed children's enthusiasm for reading generally in schools just because its no longer necessarily interesting or fun( rather than are required to by school to make things easier for the teacher!)
Lastly two things have happened which have further lifted my spirits...
Ive been offered that job Id hoped for the boss will sponsor my training!(I would have been squeezed otherwise!) and I'm thrilled as I really do like where I work and the people there, hopefully our financial situation will improve . I know it wont be a goldmine but may pay for our holiday or give us some money for saving.
Also and more specially, two people have contacted me from reading this blog, both people who were considering home education and have wanted to ask further questions, meet other home educators here and in their local area.( hello if you are reading)
I never thought anyone would want to read anything I had to say much less say they've been inspired by it! The counter is on 500+. When I started it I would have been amazed to get it to 100 in a year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Congratulations on the 500+ visitors and on your job offer!! I think your blog is really interesting. Julie.
Post a Comment