Today the home ed group was joined by a lady who came to talk about Native American Indians and who started off with a lovely story about a little Indian girl and spoke about life in Native American tribes, their culture and customs. It evolved into an interesting but more adult discussion after most of the children departed and left us discussing the political implications of years of decisions by the USA government and how these have affected the tribes in the alleged 'land of the free' ( ho ho where they aren't even allowed to vote) and face many social problems and challenges as a result.
Its made me want to find out more and Sophie is looking forward to the next session in a fortnight when they will be making dream catchers as Kate has found some incredible kits to make them. Ill be at Chloe's prize giving at school sadly/happily before shes home for a month( dunno which is it... drat and damnation that they are both on the same day!)
The kids did some work with MIL this morning on their lapbooks and maths. Sophie did some reading. Connor doesn't seem too keen again so I'm looking for some more books which will interest him. Im thinking of asking the library if they can order in some more Jeremy Strong Colour puffins books as they are the only ones which have really grabbed him so far.I cant afford to keep buying books and we don't have the space for them!
They both do some education City most days, completely off their own backs usually, Im so glad I subscribed, they are learning lots of new things which would probably scare them witless if presented in books, they'd just play the "too hard, dont understand" card until I gave in! This way they focus more on "I need to know this to get the answers right in the quiz"
I bought a star chart(Sophie's idea) from WHSmith and have written in their tasks for the day on it. So far its working, they like the magnetic stars and completing as many as they can each day. I don't know how long it will last but so far so good!
Ive downloaded the Thinking Worlds software http://www.thinkingworlds.com/default.aspx
and the kids have started to explore it. Connor is a little young for it yet I think but I hope they will both enjoy it in time. Its an interactive learning environment like SIMS or Second life but it isn't online so no danger of them 'meeting' unsavoury people or coming accross anything you would rather they didnt! Your character interacts with characters in the game and download individual topics( were exploring the Tudors and the Solar system so far!) which provide challenges to be completed as you explore the world and interact with the characters in order to work through the adventure and earn gold which can be spent on outfits,accessories etc from the virtual shop. I think teens would really enjoy it, I'm certainly finding it interesting and challenging!
Now I'm off to clean the rabbits out before I collapse with a glass of wine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Sounds good - wine - just what I'm going to do! Lisa
My lot have star charts, I find they really work, they can get quite competitive about the stars though, saying that it means they do loads of jobs for me trying to win each line, I love bribery!
I'm sorry we missed that (doctors appt for girl 2), Native American history is a pet subject of mine, we have a load of books if Soph ever wants to borrow any. It sounds like the group has really taken off, now if I could just get my act together we'll make it one day!
The Native American thing sounds fab, we went to one about a year and a half ago and it was brill.
Glad they are enjoying EC too.
Lxx
Thanks for the invite!
Lisa x
I love Native American history and have done it with all 5 of the older ones and the boys do it next year as a Waldorf Grade 3 block - Yaay.
Thanks for the invite :)
Just trying to catch up, am so busy with life that I am having trouble keeping up. We are very interested in the whole Native American thing. Wish we lived closer as I'd have loved to have come.
C
x
Post a Comment