Friday, 21 December 2007

Clearing Out!

Not us... just all the stuff we've held into for too long!
Since we started home educating the house has just got fuller and fuller, messier and messier. Its a very small house as it is and its getting smaller and we just seem to have less and less space!
I flipped and decided enough was enough after Darren reorgansied the living room while we were away but it still didnt feel any easier space wise! Ive sent him off to IKEA to buy us another bookcase and decided a line of bookcases along one wall of the living room will make it smaller yes, but only by about 30 or so cm and Ill feel so much better when the 'stuff' is all housed somewhere so I can think! Im sick of piles of 'stuff' everywhere!
Ill tackle decorating it once Christmas is over and its long overdue the decor here is vile (not our choice) and I'm absolutely certain it adds to my feelings of being hemmed in and depressed.

Anyway today has been spent starting the great xmas chuck out of anything we dont longer use, read,want or wear. We took four bags of books and 3 black bags of clothes to the charity shop and thats not even the start of it! I spent this afternoon unloading childrens toyboxes off the shelving unit on our upstairs landing and was amazed how much stuff I managed to get them to part with completely voluntarily.. Our wheely bin is also 1/2 full already of broken toys and bits and thats before it has the xmas rubbish added into it! OOPS!

Its very cathartic suddenly realising we now have somewhere for the games to 'live', we have 4 spare toyboxes and a couple of spare shelves all of a sudden!The kdis have also impressed me, Im told kids on the autistic spectrum find it difficult to part with things (our house is testament to it!) but they did willingly hand over things once I took the lead and they saw that I didnt seem bothered by handing over my old paperbacks( they know I love my books). We talked about sustainability, reusing and raising money for charity by donating. I had to insist they didnt spend their pocket money in the charity shop while we were there!

We continued when we got back and now have two full toyboxes to go to the charity shop tomorrow :) Im really proud of them.

1 comment:

Lisa G said...

Good for you, it's very cleansing to have a clearout, I always feel 'lighter' afterwards and not so weighed down with stuff. You've reminded me that we need to do the same thing over the next few weeks!